Is being a handyman the job for you?
Here is a check list to help you decide.
1. Good with your hands.
2. Have a knack for fixing things. When you take things apart you actually are able to put it back together. Not a talent shared by most. Seems simple for you.
3. Looking for a job that will give you flexibility. You decide when to work and when to play.
4. No Salary, no set income. Never know what money is coming in. Life of the self-employed. Can you remain calm and stress free knowing inside that it all works out even when your pocket is empty?
5. There are only so many hours in a day and not enough sometimes to afford what you want. Keeping it simple has some advantages but unless you expand to hiring help the riches will escape you. How important is money to you? What is spending time with your family worth to you? You will make a decent living if you get past the first 5 years but on your own you will never be wealthy.
6. The work can be rewarding in itself. The feeling of accomplishment when you have built something or figured out the cause of the problem is hard to explain but is sure to be a good reason to move from project to project.
7. Part of the Family. Being a handyman puts you in a personal connection with your customer like part of the family sometimes. Invited to family events and always greeted with a warm reception. Feeling appreciated is a rewarding feeling that the average office worker never has the benefit of. If you are in business long enough you will watch your future customers grow up knowing you will be there for them when they need you.
If you got past that and you still feel that being a handyman is something that interests, you then start your adventure. It is easy to start a handyman business with very little money, staying in business and being successful is the real challenge. If you have the benefit of another paying job while you build your customer base will be helpful so please don’t run out and quit your job. Start out on evenings and weekends. Figure out a marketing niche that works for you. You can join the UHA to get more business through our customer search or some business coaching if you need some more help. If you succeed as a handyman then we succeed as an industry so reach out and let us help you.
Good Luck Handyman!!